Thursday, August 21, 2008

Life Plans

Watching the 2008 Beijing Olympics has caused me to reminisce about my life plans. I remember first watching the Olympics in 1984. I loved to watch the synchronized swimmers. They were so graceful. However, my all time favorite Olympian is Zola Budd. As I watched her run barefoot, I thought to myself, “I’m going to be the next Zola Budd!” Perhaps I related to her so well because I grew up in South Africa and ran barefoot until I came to the U.S. when I was forced to wear shoes. Now, twenty-four years later, I sit on my coach, 35+ pounds overweight, with absolutely no hopes of ever winning an Olympic medal. There is a small part of me that is sad that this childhood dream will never be realized. As kids we are told we can do anything. Oh, wait, there’s more to that, IF we work hard and set our mind to it. After coming to the U.S., I never worked hard to realize this dream.

However, the biggest part of me is not sad that I’m not sweating in the Beijing heat, tearing my body to pieces. I am so content to have a wonderful husband who works hard to provide a beautiful home and the opportunity to stay at home with our most beautiful and adorable children. Beyond the Olympic dream, life has not turned out how I planned. It has turned out better in many, many ways. I have so much to be thankful. I could not have planned my life to turn out like this. I have learned over the last 7 years that I can make plans, but I must be ready for a surprise that’s always going to be better than I planned.

Challenge: Are you trying to control your life so much that you can’t enjoy it? Relax. Plan, but be ready for the surprises.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Hi Amanda...I love the blog. Great thoughts. Maybe you're writings will inspire me to invest a bit more energy in my blog...it needs more frequent attention, I'm afraid. :)